Papercraft Prototype

   Last week's project was to build a papercraft prototype of an object in our lives that has some type of meaning to us. So for my prototype I built my watch :^>

side by side comparison






   Now you might ask: "Clarice u fool why'd u pick a watch lmao" but lemme tell you so sit down. I got some birthday money this year and i always wanted a nice big chunky watch. Sanrio had a collaboration with Baby G this year for Hello Kitty's 45th anniversary and Baby G's 25th so they came out with this adorable pink watch (with 90's style accessories but thats not important). I had to have it lmao. It was my first real big investment tho before buying stuff for school (its lots o money lmao) so its kinda this first big luxury thing thats mine that I bought (birthday money aside) cos I love Hello Kitty, so having something like this watch in my collection means a lot to me cos she's something near and dear to my heart, so this watch is near and dear to me too. <3 

   Right away I know stuff that I would do differently after building this prototype. For one i would make it bigger cos the folds were so small!! This made it really hard to glue together (also my lines on the inside of the band are facing outwards so oops) so i think making it bigger as a whole would eliminate that problem. Second problem i faced was the inside band is actually the same size as the outside one, because i didnt think the inside curves would be smaller lol so i had some measuring and cutting troubles, but hey thats what a prototype's for right??

  Well today we had group critique so when it was my turn we talked about my watch, and I brought up my concerns. My groupmates brought up the obvious comparison to a ring that my prototype has, and that i should refine my model to make the watch and the band one piece (which is a good idea) i want to add a recess to the watchhead too so that i can add the watch bits like the hands inside with a clear film overtop. They did like that the band was a 3D piece and not just a sheet of paper so i am going to continue with that, also if its bigger than i can add some more details like the buttons and maybe a strap holder to go with it.

   Overall for my first prototype i do like it. Its simple but im ready to take it a step further with the stuff I learned in critique and learning more in rhino :3c

Comments

Popular Posts