Gary Hustwit's "Objectified": A Response

   After watching Gary Hustwit's documentary, Objectified, a few things in the film had stuck with me: 

  • 1) When interviewing designer Anthony Dunne and artist Fiona Raby, Raby had discussed how much we as a society "love showrooms" since we "imagine this (object) in your home, you project yourself into this other space, but you can actually buy it and take it home", and when Dunne added on further with "you walk into a gallery, you don't imagine the sculpture at home, that's going to have an impact on your life. But you walk into a shop . . . you do imagine yourself experiencing this thing and enjoying it."
  • 2) When designer Hella Jongerius talked about giving "individual character to something thats produced industrially".

     Jongerius's segment really resonated with me because its really easy to forget that everything that we purchase in a store was designed by someone that put care into it. You dont really think about all the behind-the-scenes work behind designing how something looks and functions, but you end up buying it if you like how it looks. In an era of mass-production, you can look at many different things in any store and think to yourself "thats so stupid, its just made to please the masses". That can be the case with many things, but I think if you look hard enough there will always be something out there that defies the cookie cutter norm and speaks to you. Jongerius goes on to say "If you look at art, you're touched by something. It can change your life because in that moment it moves you, you have an emotion." I don't even think that you really need a profound realization when you look at something to enjoy it. I just bought a new folder because I thought it was really cute, I was moved by how cute it was, it made me happy, so I bought it. I think that connects with what Dunne and Raby discussed earlier, that when we walk into a showroom or a store and see something that we like, we can just buy it. We have an emotion tied to this object we see, and we can bring it home with us.

    In that I was inspired by Dunne, Raby, and Jongerius. I actually do love showrooms a lot, I love the theming and placement of furniture to make it look like a room in someone's home. I created a mini showroom display of a living space that while I don't necessarily see as functional in a day-to day basis, I look at and see pieces of living art I can interact with.











Comments

Popular Posts