Mesh Mashup - Selection and Refinement

  You remember Death Tub?

who could forget??


Well get ready for Death Tub 2.0: now with more dread


you could almost reach in and feel the death






looks cozy


  In class we had a p2p critique, where we discussed all of our 3D models from the week before. I had already decided that Death Tub was gonna be the model I was gonna refine further, and listened to what my group had to say. They thought that Death Tub would be better if i added more bones, say a hand or something, maybe a couple bones in the puddle of black ooze below, and originally I wasn't gonna add any more bones other than the skull, I even had this all ready to go before I asked another friend if I should add more bones, and while he agreed that it looked fine, he suggested that I add some more bones just to see what it looks like, so I did. Surprisingly, we both liked the final result, him calling it more "visceral" so I went with it. 

  Death Tub in itself doesn't have any deep symbolic meaning, I just really like the idea. Someone unknowingly takes an eternal dip in the death tub full of black ooze. Where did the ooze come from? who knows lol. The juxtaposition though is that you don't normally associate a bath tub as an instrument of death. It's a bright, clean, white clawfoot tub filled to overflowing with a viscous black ooze. I got to admit its a lil harder to see the splashes and the pouring over of the ooze from certain angles, but I really did want it to look like an endless void that no light, and you, can't escape from.

  The remixed aspects of Death Tub are that it takes these things you don't associate with each other, things that you don't want together, and makes that unsettling feeling a reality. I was able to create Death Tub, and even 2.0 because of the strong 3D model online community and people sharing their models and allowing me to download them for free, and the software Tinkercad and Meshmixer, free software that makes it easy to access the tools to create and mesh together these models to make something new, and then share them for others to see and enjoy. Its one thing to just draw Death Tub and paint it, you can create a whole other feeling with those mediums, but there is something really satisfying about seeing it in a 3D model, like its one step closer to being alive. None of the original models that make up Death Tub were made for that purpose either! The splashes were from a Floating Cup model, and the bones are from an articulated anatomy model. Their original purposes thrown out to create something new and original, and there's something really satisfying and enjoyable about being able to create something new from a couple unrelated things :^)




Oh the new bones can be found here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1543880 


Comments

Popular Posts